Sunday, January 29, 2017

Mohair Shawl.....5 years in the making.....

This post is gonna bring me wayyyy back. A little over 5 years ago when I was pregnant with Ava. I was 27 weeks pregnant when I went into premature labor. Scariest thing of my life. I was in so much pain and completely unsure if I was somehow being a baby or if it was real. I went in to see the doctor and they were nervous I had appendicitis. They sent me back across the street to the hospital and was even afraid to call my mom, again I really didn't want to alarm anyone for no reason. Once I got hooked up to the monitors, I was sitting there and out of the blue came real contractions. Not good. Long story short, the contractions wouldn't stop and I had to have magnesium, a drug that could possibly be used to torture someone. I remember feeling like fire was escaping from every inch of my body. I also remember the 'run over by a semi truck' feeling. I was in the hospital for about a week when I was finally released home on the dreaded...bedrest. Someone like me has no clue what rest is. Especially when they really only wanted me to get off the couch for a shower and to go to the bathroom and that was it!

My mom was trying to help keep me busy and take my mind off things. She saw a beautiful shawl in the yarn shop and picked up the pattern and the expensive yet so beautiful mohair yarn. 4 skeins. Casting on 180 stitches for a scalloped edge and then 90 stitches for 80 inches. whew!
 I started making it but if you know the story of me and my bedrest, I ended up not resting very much. I went into labor again at 34 weeks and again hospitalized, although thankfully without magnesium this time. Ava was born happy and healthy at 39 weeks. Thank the Good Lord above.  Once she was here, I had a 15 month old and a newborn and was busier than ever. Jason was building our house and was barely home. I put off this project, time and time again. Tiny needles, difficult to work with yarn, and a million stitches that never ended. It wasn't on the top of my to do list.

I brought it on every vacation knowing that sticking me on an airplane was an easy way for me to have time to myself to knit. This shawl traveled the world so far hitting for sure Italy and the Dominican Republic. I finished the shawl  last week. Ava turns 5 next month. That's one really long never ending project.
 It's got imperfections. Dropped stiches that I didn't fix and increased stitches without noticing. But it doesn't matter. I wasn't about to worry about that. I knew my mom would love it no matter what. Plus, those little imperfections are what make it even better. That's what you end up loving most about homemade items. Or at least I do! I know how much my mom will wear it. And I know how much she will brag about her daughter making it for her. She may laugh and tell them I started it 5 years ago, which might make them think I worked on it all that time, but I really didn't. I wish I would have finished it for her earlier, but I'm glad it's done.  And for all the things she makes for me or for my kids, this was a drop in the bucket to what we owe her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS