Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Skull Shoes

Austin is very particular about some things, as most toddlers are. Some things he throws fits about at school are not the same things he throws fits about at home. Back in his biting days, I felt helpless. The little monster wasn't biting at home, so it was hard to feel as if we could make a difference in that bad habit that thankfully went away just as any other stage.

This particular event needs to be recorded.

Austin has been causing a ruckus at school lately about wearing his shoes. He puts them on in the morning fine for me without fuss. Since I know the ins and outs of Austin and everyday learn more about toddlers.....I usually have a few pairs of shoes out so that Austin can choose. He is much better at making choices than he is being told 'wear this pair' or 'put these shoes on now'.

Austin's school teachers have been telling me for probably a week or more that Austin has been giving them more and more trouble. Sometimes he was having a fit for half an hour, no exaggeration, about not putting them on. He even fell asleep one time during the fit because he put himself into exhaustion fighting the rules of wearing shoes.

I started bringing two pairs of shoes to school at the beginning of this week, thinking that I was going to solve the problem. Giving the kid an option at home and at school....perfect. But that lasted maybe half a day they said. So back to the drawing board. I asked Jason and we both thought that maybe if we let Austin pick out his own pair of shoes, that he'd wear them without problem. I was hesitant since Austin has many pair of good shoes. Not just good shoes, but not so cheap shoes either since Grandma wants nothing but the best for her grandkids.

But, the show must go on and off to Target Austin and I went. We hit the shoe aisle and I had nothing but plenty of time to let Austin try on whatever shoes he wanted. One walk up and down the aisle and Austin found Mickey Mouse shoes. He immediately wanted to wear them. He put them on and I made him walk around for a while in them. Eventually he spotted Spider Man shoes and took off the Mickey Mouse shoes telling me "I no want Mickey Mouse Clubhouse". So we moved on. Before Spider Man shoes even went on, he went for those light-up shoes. Although in love with the lights, "these are too big" he says, as he takes them off.

A few pair of random shoes later, Austin finds boat shoes. Adorable boat shoes. They had red and grey and all sorts of adorable and easy to slip on boat shoes. Austin picked out the one pair in which the color choices and pattern were a bit odd to me. He picks out the black pair with bright blue skulls on them.....

So of course I made him wear those around the store and up and down the shoe aisle about 6 more times hoping he might find the red or grey pair more attractive like I did. Austin looked down at his new shoes and said "These match. They fit great". Did he really just tell me that? I mean, I know he talks a lot but to tell me that was comical. All the other moms with little ones, were "awwwing" at Austin as he adored his new shoes. Even an old lady stopped her shopping to tell Austin what great shoes he had on....(did she have to encourage him!?). You can tell I wasn't thrilled with his choice. But whatever makes your toddler happy makes you happy. I am not ready to fight the battle of what pattern of shoes he wears. Heck, if he wants to wear dress shoes with pajamas to school, fine by me! Go right ahead and be independent. We have bigger battles to fight!

I wanted to leave the tags on thinking that Austin may change his mind the next morning and never wear them again. Sure enough on our way out the door Austin exclaims "my new shoes!!" Even on our way in to school Austin looked at me and said "I no want to take my new shoes off". This couldn't play out any more hysterical in my mind than it already had.

So of course at the end of the day, I go to pick Austin up, and his teacher says to me "Austin had an AWESOME day." The next teacher pulls me aside "Boy, Austin had a great day!" His report card from the day had 'awesome' and 'great day' written all over it, like three times! Really!? All he needed was to pick out his own shoes!? This had to be a fluke. Next day, same thing. Today, same thing. He doesn't fight to put them on and he is having the best days ever!

To kick this all off with one final note, I find two pairs of skull shoes when I go to pick up Austin today. Turns out a good friend has the exact same pair. Same size, same black shoes with bright blue skulls. I never remember his friend having these. Austin is very aware of all of his friends shoes since he brings them to me sometimes and says "these shoes are Hunter's" or "these boots are Oliver's". I don't know which one got them first. Did one copy the other? Who knows.....all I know is that Austin is very happy with his new skull shoes. Which in turn, makes me and his teachers VERY happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS