Friday, June 1, 2012

Terrible Teens

I have to say that I think there is a myth about Terrible Two's. I am not so sure that it is terrible two's as much as it is Terrible Teens. Sixteen, Seventeen,  but mostly eighteen months....seems to have quite a few rough moments.

This past weekend was a nice long Memorial Weekend that most people look forward to. I too was excited for the extra day off work.....but it left me begging for it to end.

Austin has recently started talking in short sentences like "bye-bye doggie" and "help please" but by no means is he a full-on talker yet. His frustration with not being able to express exactly what he wants or needs is abundant. He throws tantrums, chucks his toys, and best yet.....he screams!

Tell Austin NOT to scream, and he screams louder......tell him to scream louder, and he screams louder....ignore him, and he screams louder....notice a trend?

Not to menton that since Austin and I spend the most time together, sometimes he loves me the hardest and at the same time, he bites and hits me the hardest! In one moment he is trying to bite my leg and in the next, he is kissing me over and over again!

I have to keep reminding myself that this is just a phase and I am sure in no time I will get my sweet little boy back. But it's hard not to carry the guilt of being a working mother and wishing that I was at back at work after a long weekend like the last.

As I am sure most parents go through these same feelings, I struggle with how to raise Austin so that he is not running my household. He is not at the stage where he understands as much as we wish he did, so discipline in some ways is not an option. At the same time, I have to learn to be consistent and not send mixed signals, which can be hard to do when I have had a long day at work and Austin insists on kicking and screaming when I am trying to get him buckled in his car seat.

Being a parent doesn't come with an instruction manual and even if it did, I am convinced none of us would have the time to glance at it anyway. Even though we are having some rough moments, we are certainly enjoying the fun ones in between.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS