Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Belize: Part Four

Tuesday morning, Nicole and I head out for....yup....a walk. Picking a new road each morning.

 We went back to camp for a breakfast of beans, eggs, biscuits and a hot dog :)

We then convinced everyone to head out for a little bit more shopping so we could bring home souvenirs for loved ones. Or if you were a senior boy on the trip, you might just try to go out and buy machetes or knives.....those boys!!

Then we headed to a retirement home that morning. We weren't allowed to take pictures so I don't have any but I do remember what we did. We got there and introduced our team and sang a few songs for those that were sitting outside. We then broke down into small groups or individuals and spent time with each of the residents. I first began speaking with a woman who was 106 years old!! I think she fell asleep, as would I at her age, so I took someone else on a wheelchair walk down to the front gazebo that was surrounded by beautiful plants which butterflies loved. We talked about all sorts of things and prayed for continued healing since she was left with deficits from a previous stroke.

We headed back to Shawville for lunch of chicken, vegetables, tortillas and jello for dessert.

Our medical team spent the afternoon in Santiago Juan for our second medical clinic.
 We set up in the preschool with two stations with tiny tables and chairs, a station for me and one for Doctor Mike and then some triaging stations for the nurses.
 We saw lots of diabetes, high blood pressure, anemia, many of the same things we saw at the first clinic. I can't move on without mentioning Hilda my translator sitting across from me. Without her, it would have been impossible to speak to those who were strictly Spanish speaking. I am so grateful for her and volunteering her time to help us.

 We saw just over 200 people that day. I remember that clinic day asking Jason when it would be done because it seemed like we just kept going and people just kept coming. Usually a very amazing and great thing, but I was getting behind on drinking my water and was trying to scarf down a melted granola bar in between seeing people.

After medical clinic we had to go pick up the rest of the crew who were out doing some sports ministry with the local people. Always competing USA versus Belize, we played some volleyball.
 We went back to camp for dinner which was rice, nachos, and donut holes!!

The best thing happened next. It was Grandma Bonnie's Birthday, turning 82, hopefully she doesn't mind me sharing her age, cause she kept up with us like she was 20 years younger than that! Nicole had been planning her birthday since we arrived. A cake was made that was more than delicious and she was totally surprised. See the piñata in the background!?
 Tears of joy that we would celebrate her birthday with her.
And with that, we tucked in for the night, exhausted and full of cake!

Wednesday morning....walk....you've got the drill by now....
 How true!? We saw this on the side of a school building. "Dreams don't work unless you do!"
After breakfast we headed out for a full day of clinic. We set up in two different locations between morning and afternoon.

We headed to Cristo Rey first.
 We recruited a few of the guys to help us sort out medications. We bagged ibuprofen, aspirin and Tylenol into smaller amounts so they would last us through two more medical clinics.
 Lots of families to see and treat
Consoling a woman who was going blind. So thankful to have the opportunity to help but so sad at some of the circumstances that we couldn't change or do anything about.
 Cute kiddos around every corner.
 We came to Belize with supplies for wound care but we didn't do as much as we thought. We did a lot more health maintenance and education along with chronic disease diagnosis and management. But occasionally we had wounds to bandage and treat.
 Doctor Mike and Nicole check out a little one
 After our morning clinic, we finished a lot closer to 1pm than we wanted so we went back to church to eat lunch and then drive to a very rural area called Boytown, where a small church housed a clinic for us. We had a very small area to practice. Lots of flu cases at this clinic and probably one of the worst cases of shingles I have seen so far in my life.

 After clinic we went back to Shawville to hang out with everyone to say our goodbyes since tomorrow (Thursday) was our day to head out to the island Caye Caulker for some relaxation. Here is Hilda and Rosy and I. Miss them so very much. Another instance which I am thankful for Facebook so we can keep up with each other.
 This is Jason with Hilda's son Javier. He was such a fun, energetic little boy that loved Jason. It was mutual because Javier was such a joy to be around. I can still hear him calling Jason 'John Cena'. Makes me smile.
This night was a tearful one. So hard to say goodbye to these people. They are so selfless and giving. Without them the community would be at such a great loss. The Salazar family, their supporters, and friends are beyond amazing. Spreading the Word of Christ while helping everyone else before themselves. We all were in awe of their commitment and dedication. It certainly makes you want to be a better person because of what they do.

Next post will be our overnight trip to Caye Caulker Island!!! Oh how I wish I could go back!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...